Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Half an hour for a Eucalyptus Dream

I hope you are enjoying the recently released Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot). I recently did take it for a spin, and this blog is about my experience. Eucalyptus has been part of Ubuntu since Jaunty, and I wanted to see how well the latest available version of Eucalyptus integrates with Oneirc

And I am pleased to say that in less than 1/2 hour, you can have your Eucalyptus cloud running in Oneric! You don't believe me? Let's do it:

10:17: popped the CD for the server install into two desktops machines we had laying around:

I just did add the openssh server to the basic install;

10:31: install is done, machines rebooted. At this point I lost the monitor I was borrowing, so I switched to ssh from the comfort of my office in front of a cup of coffee. I did do a quick update and upgrade to ensure all the security patches were applied;


10:34: Time to get to the Eucalyptus install. There are nice instruction on help.ubuntu.com which I partly followed: my engineering background prevents me from following nicely written instructions ... Soo, I did
     apt-get install eucalyptus-cloud eucalyptus-cc eucalyptus-sc eucalyptus-walrus
On the second desktop I did install the node controller
     apt-get install eucalyptus-nc


10:43: got to the familiar webUI

and downloaded the admin credentials. The configure tab was missing some components. I assume the network I was using confused a bit the nice autoregistration mechanism of the UEC, so I switched to manual mode. I first de-register all components (I used the default cluster1 for the cluster name)
     euca_conf --deregister-cluster cluster1
     euca_conf --deregister-sc cluster1
and re-register with a cluster name I'm more familiar with
     euca_conf --register-cluster pippo 192.168.7.246
     euca_conf --register-sc pippo 192.168.7.246

10:46: I did register the node controller
     euca_conf --register-nodes 192.168.4.7
(yep, our network is not a /24) waited few seconds to allow the node to report and got

Phew, just under half an hour, as I promised you. In a future blog I will talk about the images I uploaded on the cloud and tested it: you can check the work we are doing on our projects.eucalyptus.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment